Advanced Treatment for Receding Gums on Long Island
Receding gums affect nearly 15 percent of American adults. If left untreated for many years, patients may experience adverse effects such as increased tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures, as well as heightened risk of tooth decay. Luckily, there are several effective treatments for receding gums that can be performed in just one visit to the dentist.
At Long Island Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer gum reconstruction and grafting procedures using state-of-the-art equipment. Suffolk County cosmetic dentists Dr. Elliott and Dr. Nick are experts in periodontal surgery and have extensive training in soft tissue management for receding gums. If you’re tired of looking at a “toothy smile,” or are worried about your oral health and increasing intolerance for hot foods or cold drinks, gum recession treatment may be just the solution.
About gum grafting & reconstruction
Receding gums are one of the most noticeable effects of periodontal disease in its early stages. As the gum line recedes up the tooth root, delicate nerves are exposed. Recession can occur along one tooth or several teeth, causing tissue inflammation, root exposure and sensitivity, and eventual cavities. Since gum tissue is the first defense against bacteria and tooth decay, its recession can result in both gum disease and bone deterioration. Eventually, tooth loss may even occur.
Gum grafts and reconstruction are a common periodontal procedure here in our Suffolk County office. Though the treatment might sound fear-provoking, it offers excellent results with little discomfort.
There are three common types of receding gums treatment we offer:
- Connective tissue grafts – tissue is taken from a flap of skin created in the roof of your mouth and used to cover exposed tooth roots.
- Pedicle grafts – tissue is harvested from the gum tissue of the affected tooth in need of repair. The flap (pedicle) is pulled over the exposed root and then sewn down. This method is best for people with adequate gum tissue near the exposed roots.
- Free gingival grafts– Ideal for patients with exceedingly thin gums, this method involves tissue taken directly from the palate and then attached to the area in need of repair.
Advantages of gum recession treatment
After gum grafting treatment, our patients report a number of positive effects:
- Less sensitivity to temperatures
- Improved aesthetics – no more “toothy” grins
- Better gum health with less risk of cavities, as well as bone and tissue loss
Connective tissue grafts require only local anesthetics, which means very little downtime after the procedure. Most folks can resume their normal routine immediately, being careful to stick with soft foods (Jello, pasta, yogurt) during the first 7-14 days.
Low cost receding gum treatment in Long Island
Here at Long Island Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, our primary mission is to help our patients have confident, healthy smiles. Our entire staff is committed to providing all patients with compassionate, personalized care to ensure your experience is as pleasant and stress-free as possible.
To learn more about receding gum treatment on Long Island, or other types of periodontal procedures, please give us a call at (631) 319-9509 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Elliot or Dr. Nick.