Get Your Teeth White As Snow This Winter
A whiter, brighter smile is the best gift you can give yourself this winter. Teeth whitening is, in fact, one of the quickest and least expensive ways to enhance your appearance in a way that is subtle and natural, but stunning.
Dr. Elliot and Dr. Nick at Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry offer several different products to help you achieve your goal of obtaining teeth as white as fresh-laid snow this winter.
In-office teeth whitening
Most patients opt to have their teeth whitening done at a cosmetic dentist’s office. A brief exam is conducted to ensure there are no unaddressed cavities that will require filling before the teeth whitening procedure. Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry uses a chemically-activated gel tray system that is further enhanced with light therapy and a take-home whitening pen. The whole in-office teeth whitening process can be done within an hour’s time.
At-home teeth whitening trays
Another teeth whitening option better than buying a boxed kit are custom teeth whitening trays, which are made from impressions of your teeth. Results can be seen after wearing the trays for 30 minutes a day, over a period of 10 days. While at-home whitening takes a little bit longer, patients with sensitive teeth and gums generally respond better to a slower whitening process.
Customized teeth whitening
There is no “one-size-fits-all” teeth whitening system, say cosmetic dentists. For instance, an 18-year-old who drinks a lot of coffee or eats a lot of pasta may come in with mildly tarnished teeth and be fine with the Sinsational Smiles treatment. Yet, someone with decades of tartar, Calcium deposits and deep staining may need a stronger in-office product like Opalescence Boost – a more concentrated product comprised of 40% hydrogen peroxide.
Christmas wishes granted for all types of discolored teeth
Some teeth are stained below the surface levels and may not respond to tray teeth whitening. Common causes of severe tooth discoloration include:
- Tetracycline antibiotic use before 8 years of age
- Cigarette smoking
- Genetic defects like dentinogenesis or amelogenesis
- High childhood fevers
- Severe neonatal jaundice
- Poor dental hygiene
- Overexposure to fluoride
In these instances, you may still achieve the snow-white smile you’ve always wanted with dental veneers. During this process, a layer of enamel is scraped away and covered with an ultra-thin layer of porcelain that looks and feels like true enamel.
Treat yourself every year
The holiday season can be a good reminder to get your teeth in order. For the best results, dentists recommend:
- Brushing your teeth after consuming wine, coffee, grape juice, or tomato products.
- Abstaining from tobacco products.
- Using a whitening toothpaste.
- Booking a routine cleaning every six months.
Enjoy holiday savings on teeth whitening
‘Tis the season of giving. Dr. Nick and Dr. Elliot are offering a free consultation for all new patients ($150 value) and great savings on our in-office teeth whitening and take home gel. Call our Long Island cosmetic dentistry office at (631) 296-0549 to arrange your visit.
Additional Teeth Whitening Resources:
- Medline Plus – Abnormal Tooth Colors https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003065.htm
- WebMD – Whiten Teeth at Home or in the Dentist’s Office? http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-mouth-15/beautiful-smile/teeth-whitening-at-home-dentist
- Opalescence – Tooth Whitening In One Hour https://www.opalescence.com/en-us/pages/in-office.aspx
- BlogHer – You’re Never Fully Dressed Without Your Smile http://www.blogher.com/you-re-never-fully-dressed-without-smile-whitening-101
- Sinsational Smile – How It Works http://www.sinsationalsmile.com/how-it-works.html