Mini Dental Implants: Your Questions Answered!
If you’re wondering what the difference is between “mini” dental implants and conventional implants, you’re not alone. It’s one of the most commonly fielded questions by our Suffolk County cosmetic dentists, who offer the latest advancements in tooth restoration and implantology.
As their name implies, mini dental implants are much smaller than traditional implants, which typically average 3.5 to 6 mm wide. By contrast, mini implants are 1.8 to 3.4 mm in diameter, making them a more suitable option for patients who do not have sufficient bone mass or space to support larger implants.
Mini implants are used in a variety of tooth restoration procedures and can support most types of lower arch dentures, fixed bridgework and crowns. Just like their bigger counterparts, mini implants are comprised of a titanium post that is inserted partially into the gums where it attaches to the jawbone. The head of the implant is ball shaped and equipped with a rubber O-ring that snaps onto the post of the restoration. The entire mini implant procedure is performed in one office visit, and only requires local anesthesia. After this minimally -invasive procedure, patients can enjoy a brand new smile and teeth the very same day, without the hassle of sutures or a lengthy recovery period.
Mini Implant Uses
Mini dental implants may be recommended for patients who:
- Have insufficient jawbone density for regular implants
- Replacing smaller, front teeth
- Replacing incisors or pre molars
- Replacing a single tooth located in a narrow space
- Cannot have invasive surgery
- Are not good candidates for bone grafting
Mini Implant Advantages
Mini implants aren’t suitable for every patient, but for those who are good candidates, this restoration offers numerous benefits:
- No invasive surgery
- No sutures
- No waiting period or multiple trips to the dentist
- Faster healing period
- One-step procedure
- New teeth in one day
- More cost-effective compared to traditional implants
- High success rate
- Very durable
- No need for expensive bone grafting procedures
- Provide a solid foundation for bridges, crowns or dentures
- Mini implants offer an instant smile makeover
- Feel just like your natural teeth
- Require the same care as natural teeth
Are mini implants right for you?
Mini implants are an affordable and convenient option to replace missing teeth. If your confidence is lacking because of an imperfect smile and you’d like to learn more about mini dental implants, we invite you to call our Rocky Point office to arrange a free consultation. Here at Long Island Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer flexible payment options and attractive financing plans. Schedule your appointment today by calling 631-296-0570.
Additional “Mini Dental Implant” Resources:
- Colgate, What Are Mini Dental Implants? http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/cosmetic-dentistry/implants/article/what-are-mini-dental-implants-0316
- RealSelf, Mini Dental Implants https://www.realself.com/mini-dental-implants