Teeth implants are a wonderful solution for patients in Long Island looking to replace multiple missing teeth. Multiple implants offer patients with lost teeth and broken smiles a world of difference compared to traditional dentures.
Multiple teeth dental implants available in Suffolk County, Long Island
In Suffolk County, New York, dental implants are the preferred choice for people suffering from periodontal disease and lost teeth. At Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry, we are pleased to offer patients the option of having their multiple implants as a solution for tooth loss.
The NY Times told the story of a 56-year-old man who recalls how his dentures fell out of his mouth when he talked, he could not taste his food, and he found it difficult to chew. “Best decision I ever made,” he said of the multiple implants procedure. “I could chew beer cans now,” he joked.
Alternatives to multiple implants
If you’re missing teeth, you basically have three options:
- Dental implants are widely considered the “next best thing” to having a mouthful of healthy, natural teeth. This process involves a complete redesign and restoration of the missing or damaged tooth from root to crown. New teeth made of porcelain are implanted into titanium posts screwed into the jaw, where they fuse with natural tissues.
- Fixed dental bridges are comprised of two or more crowns that anchor onto natural “abutment” teeth. At one time, this was the best option people had. However, the procedure relies on the filing of surrounding teeth, which makes the teeth more susceptible to root canal infection, periodontal disease, decay, and bone atrophy.
- Removable partial dentures grip onto healthy teeth, but put pressure on the underlying gums, which weakens the jaw and accelerates bone loss. It is the cheapest and easiest option upfront, but is not always feasible – especially if the patient has limited structure to support the dentures.
Why choose multiple tooth implants?
There are many reasons why multiple implants are a worthwhile investment:
- Unlike dental bridges, implants last a lifetime and have very minimal (if any) ongoing costs associated with them.
- Unlike dentures, implants do not move around, interfere with talking, cause soreness, or alter sense of taste.
- Implants help protect the jawbone over time by tricking the body into thinking you still have teeth.
- Dental implants look better cosmetically and improve self-esteem.
Multiple dental implant procedure
Dental implants are installed as an outpatient procedure right here in our office. Anesthesia – either local, general, IV sedation, or nitrous oxide – is required. Traditionally, the procedure involved several stages: incisions were made through the gum down to the bone, holes drilled, and implants were placed. The tissue was stitched into place and the implant bonded itself to the bone over the next four to six months. When the healing process was complete, the dentist installed an abutment using local anesthesia.
Times have changed. Dr. Elliot and Dr. Nick offer the latest advances in dentistry and can complete multiple teeth implants in one day .No more waiting while an exposed implant fuses to the bone. Today we can install the abutment at the same time as the implants. We can even create your new restoration teeth onsite from your tooth impressions using our state of the art CEREC machine.
Residents throughout Nassau County and Suffolk County have easy access to same day dental implants. Our office is located in Rocky Point, located in Central Suffolk County, New York. Learn more about the procedure itself by scheduling a consultation in our private office.