Long Island sedation dentists
In a lot of ways, the dental chair is the sum of all fears – pain, needles, loud noises, doctors, confined spaces. Even though you know a beautiful smile is around the corner, the idea of drilling and filling coupled with the sounds and smells of dental work can produce a significant amount of anxiety for even the bravest patient. Sedation dentistry helps patients relax their minds and bodies during the process. Long Island Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry offers various types of anesthesia to make your dental procedures a more pleasant experience.
Good candidates for sedation dentistry
Sedation dentistry uses pharmacological agents to calm and relax a patient prior to and during dental procedures.
You may be an ideal candidate for sedation dentistry if you:
- Are very anxious and fearful of dental procedures
- Have had a traumatic experience at the dentist before
- Rarely go to the dentist due to fear of discomfort
- Experience sweaty palms and grip the arm rests during routine cleaning
- Have difficulty getting numbed
- Suffer from an easily triggered gag reflex
- Hate needles and shots
- Dislike the noises, smells and tastes associated with dental care
- Feel afraid or embarrassed about your teeth
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
- Require multiple procedures done in one sitting
Several different types of sedation are available to patients, so be sure to tell your dentist about any medical conditions you may have.
The American Dental Society of Anesthesiology says the following health issues may interact with sedation methods:
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Respiratory disease
- Sleep Apnea
These conditions do not necessarily preclude patients from receiving sedation during their procedure, but they may influence the type of sedation Dr. Elliot and Dr. Nick will select.